The number one problem the world is facing is the coronavirus.
The number two problem is global warming.
The number three problem?
People saying mean things to black people.
Dozens of people are being investigated for racist tweets about England’s Euro 2020 stars, police chiefs said today, as they revealed four people have now been arrested.
The UK Football Policing Unit (UKFPU) provided an update on its investigation this morning following abusive posts targeting Marcus Rashford, Jadon Sancho and Bukayo Saka in the wake of the Three Lion’s defeat on penalties to Italy in Sunday’s final.
Three of the suspects have already been publicly identified – plasterer Brad Pretty, 49, from Folkestone, Kent; estate agent Andrew Bone, 37, from Manchester, and children’s football coach Nick Scott, 50, from Powick, near Worcester.
A fourth suspect, a 37-year-old man from Ashton-upon-Mersey, was then arrested yesterday, officials said.
Andrew Bone, 37
Brad Pretty, 49
Nick Scott, 50
A statement read: ‘Following England’s defeat against Italy on Sunday a torrent of racist comments aimed at some of the team’s black players appeared on platforms including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
‘A hate crime investigation is under way by the UKFPU, with a dedicated team of investigators working their way through a large number of reports from across the country.
‘So far, dozens of data applications have been submitted to social media companies and four people have been arrested by local police forces.’
Chief Constable Mark Roberts, the National Police Chiefs’ Council football policing lead, said: ‘The racial abuse aimed at our own players following Sunday night’s game is utterly vile and has quite rightly shocked and appalled people across the country.
‘Our England team have been true role models during the tournament, conducting themselves with professionalism and dignity. I’m disgusted there are individuals out there who think it’s acceptable to direct such abhorrent abuse at them, or at anybody else.
‘The UKFPU investigation is well under way and work continues to identify those responsible. We are working very closely with social media platforms, who are providing data we need to progress enquiries.
‘If we identify that you are behind this crime, we will track you down and you will face the serious consequences of your shameful actions.’
Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Wednesday that the Government was extending the scope of football banning orders to include online abuse.
Banning orders exclude people from attending matches for between a three and 10-year period.
The Premier League is understood to welcome the move, believing that the orders have been under-utilised in the past.
As soon as we can stop people saying mean things to blacks, and change the weather, we will have a utopia.