June 26, 2019
Does Donald Trump actually believe what John Bolton and Mike Pompeo tell him?
Because they are apparently claiming he can take out the entire country with “limited strikes,” and that is patently absurd.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Wednesday that any war between the United States and Iran would be swift, although he reiterated his desire to avoid a military confrontation even as he blasted Tehran’s leaders.
“I hope we don’t, but we’re in a very strong position if something should happen,” Trump told Fox Business Network when asked if a war was brewing. “I’m not talking boots on the ground … I’m just saying if something would happen, it wouldn’t last very long.”
Iran is five times bigger than Iraq, with five times the population.
So you would have a war that is at least five times as long, based on that alone. So, roughly between 50-60 years.
But this is about a lot more than the size of the country.
You also have to factor in:
- Iranians are smarter than the Iraqis
- Iran is a much more developed country than Iraq
- Iran has sophisticated weapons
- Iran has a sophisticated military organization
- Iran is a much more patriotic and unified country than Iraq (half the population of Iraq was Shiite and hated Saddam)
- Most of the world supported the US in Iraq, with this war almost no one will
- China and Russia support Iran, Iraq didn’t have anyone supporting them
When you factor in that, you can’t put a length of time on the war, you can just say that the US doesn’t have any chance of winning it. It is actually probably impossible physically, but it is certainly impossible in terms of the will of the American people to fight a decades-long war for literally no reason against a country that didn’t do anything to us.
And it would obviously escalate to involve the entire region, and eventually the entire world.