June 15, 2014
This is a meme that probably originated from /pol/. It was picked up by a Catholic site.
Really sums it all up.
Catholic site put it in bullet points, with some more proper sounding phrasing.
- Be raided, enslaved, raped, murdered, and conquered for 500 years
- Your homelands suffer from destitute poverty because of the constant sea raids destroying naval trade and transport routes
- Byzantium is begging for help, southern France is easy picking for slavers, Spain is conquered and France is invaded, churches are burned and nuns are raped en masse in conquered cities, southern Italy and Sicily live in fear
- Call upon nobles, peasants, the poor and rich alike to put an end to centuries of oppression and evil and retake the holy lands that are dear to you
- Sell your lands, your estate, your everything to buy armor, a sword, and enough food to make it halfway across the world, knowing you won’t return but believe in the cause of justice
- Lose hundreds of thousands of good men for over a hundred years in perpetual war
- Roughly a thousand years later your descendants look upon you as the evil aggressor against a supposedly innocent people and they view your faith which you hold so near and dear to your heart as a force of incomparable hatred and malice