May 31, 2016
The Shuttening continues!
Facebook (FB.O), Twitter (TWTR.N), Google’s (GOOGL.O) YouTube and Microsoft (MSFT.O) on Tuesday agreed to an EU code of conduct to tackle online hate speech within 24 hours in Europe.
EU governments have been trying in recent months to get social platforms to crack down on rising online racism following the refugee crisis and terror attacks, with some even threatening action against the companies.
A relationship between non-White behavior and rising racism?
Isn’t that a racist suggestion?
As part of the pledge agreed with the European Commission, the web giants will review the majority of valid requests for removal of illegal hate speech in less than 24 hours and remove or disable access to the content if necessary.
They will also strengthen their cooperation with civil society organizations who help flag hateful content when it goes online and promote “counter-narratives” to hate speech.
Try to come up with a more Orwellian term than that! I dare you!
“The recent terror attacks have reminded us of the urgent need to address illegal online hate speech. Social media is unfortunately one of the tools that terrorist groups use to radicalize young people,” EU Justice Commissioner Vera Jourova said.
Wait wait wait.
Nazis are recruiting Islamic terrorists?
Or we’re again conflating speech against terrorism with pro-terrorism speech?
Germany got Google, Facebook and Twitter to agree to delete hate speech from their websites within 24 hours last year and even launched an investigation into the European head of Facebook over its alleged failure to remove racist hate speech.
“There’s no place for hate speech on Facebook,” said Monika Bickert, Head of Global Policy Management at Facebook.
“With a global community of 1.6 billion people we work hard to balance giving people the power to express themselves whilst ensuring we provide a respectful environment.”
EU ministers had called for cooperation with tech companies to be stepped up after the Brussels attacks in March.
Jewish lobbyists, frequently the target of hate speech, welcomed the code of conduct.
“This a historic agreement that could not arrive at a better time,” said Dr. Moshe Kantor, President of the European Jewish Congress.
2016 will be remembered as the year the internet died.
But don’t worry. Come 2017, Donald Trump is going to give us all our freedoms back.
He will sanction Europe to give back the memes.
Something like this:
(New York, NY) January 21st, 2016, — Donald J. Trump is calling for a total and complete shutdown of eurofags entering the United States until our country’s representatives can figure out what is going on. According to Pew Research, among others, there is great hatred towards memes by large segments of the European population.
Mr. Trump stated, “Without looking at the various polling data, it is obvious to anybody the hatred is beyond comprehension. Where this hatred comes from and why we will have to determine. Until we are able to determine and understand this problem and the dangerous threat it poses, our country cannot be the victims of horrendous anti-meme sentiment by people that believe only in AIDS, and have no sense of reason or respect for these tubes.”
Make memes great again!
It is yet to be seen if this agreement signed with the EU will affect the American internet.
If it does, however, this problem will be dealt with with extreme prejudice.
— Andrew Auernheimer (@rabite) May 31, 2016