January 14, 2020
Dis nigga ain’t having none of that plea deal sheeeiiitt.
The 45-year-old man whose Norwich murder conviction was overturned last year has until next month to decide whether to accept a plea offer or move forward with a new trial.
Sebastian DeSantis, the lawyer for Jean Jacques, accused in the 2015 slaying of 25-year-old Casey Chadwick, said in New London Superior Court on Thursday that he had conveyed a publically undisclosed offer to his client and asked for a continuance to allow Jacques to mull over the proposed deal.
DeSantis said he expects Jacques to reject the offer on Feb. 6 setting the stage for a new trial.
Jurors in 2016 found Jacques guilty of Chadwick’s murder and Judge Barbara Jongbloed sentenced him to the maximum penalty of 60 years in prison.
In July, however, the state Supreme Court unanimously ruled that Jacques deserved a new trial because a search by Norwich police violated his constitutional rights.
The state’s highest court ruled that Norwich police needed to get a search warrant before they searched his home a month after the June 25, 2015, killing.