January 25, 2020
I said at the time that I didn’t believe the administration’s claim that there weren’t any casualties and I thought they were lying in order to prevent a need to escalate the situation.
Thirty-four US service members have been diagnosed with traumatic brain injuries following the Iranian missile attack on US forces in Iraq earlier this month, Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Friday.
Seventeen service members who were injured have since returned to duty in Iraq, sixteen of whom were treated locally in the country.
Nine service members are still being treated in Germany. An additional eight service members who had been flown to Germany have since been sent to the United States for additional treatment. The eight service members, who arrived in the US Friday morning, will be treated at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center or at hospitals in their home bases.
Although traumatic brain injuries are not always apparent immediately after they’ve been suffered, the disclosure of injured US service members indicates that the impact of the attack was more serious than initial assessments indicated.
The Pentagon and President Donald Trump had initially said no service members were injured or killed in the January 8 Iranian missile attack, which was retaliation for the January 2 US drone strike that killed a top Iranian general.
Hoffman said Friday that the Defense Department will review its processes for tracking and reporting injuries suffered by service members.
“The goal is to be as transparent, accurate and to provide the American people and our service members with the best information about the tremendous sacrifices our war fighters make,” Hoffman told reporters Friday.
Earlier this week President Donald Trump said he does not consider potential brain injuries to be as serious as physical combat wounds, downplaying the severity of the injuries suffered in Iraq.
During the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, Trump was asked to explain the discrepancy between his previous comments that no US service member was harmed in the January 8 Iranian missile attack on Al-Asad airbase in Iraq, and the latest reports of US troops being treated for injuries sustained in that attack.
“No, I heard that they had headaches, and a couple of other things, but I would say, and I can report, it’s not very serious,” Trump replied during a news conference.
I think Trump at least realizes that an Iran war would be too insane for anyone to deal with. It would absolutely not be one of these jokey type wars like Afghanistan or Iraq. Not only would tens of thousands of Americans die in battle, many would die at home as Shiites triggered sleeper cells inside our borders.
People would demand an end to it and America would have to pull out and allow Iran to declare victory.
Of course, even though the US would lose the war, Israel would win, with Iran set back a hundred years from extreme US bombings. But this is not something that any American president wants to be attached to.